I had seen this particular photographers show advertised on the magazine website- Dazed Digital
.http://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/17319/1/corinne-day-may-the-circle-remain-unbroken
To my surprise and delight we went to this gallery show first and I was impressed by the realism and stark view of her photos, you know she has gotten to know these people over time, the way she has delved into their personal lives is portrayed through the raw and intimate photos. I usually struggle to enjoy looking at candid photos but there was something different about these, more intriguing than anything.
From looking at them I knew I wanted to take more photos of my friends in relaxed situations, as this is initially what she done.

In the Michael Hoppen gallery I wasn't so interested in the work by Miyako Ishiuchi but more by a magazine style book there was. It was called Acne Paper and after coming home I researched it and found out it was a culture magazine that mainly showed the fashion label Acne (Ambition to create novel expression). Interestingly, the paper chooses a key theme for each of its issues and then it represents history, journalism, science, philosophy and others things such as arts and photography.
http://www.acnepaper.com
This particular issue was titled 'The Actress' and from some of the photography I found in there you could tell why.
Benjamin Alexander Husebys work really stood out to me, annoyingly I can't find any of his photos online that I saw but I know I can describe them well as being vibrant with the colours having a techno feel to them. His portraits were very strong in the sense of his models having a clear personality being portrayed, as though they were acting their own stories out in the photos. I want to make sure I do this with my own portraits, to ensure my models aren't just stiff and awkward, but have that sense of a real persons character about them.
Aswell as this, Daniel Jacksons work also stood out to me, like Husebys work, it had a strong sense of creating a fantasy world to place the portraits of the people.

No comments:
Post a Comment